With the release of VMware vSphere 6.0 Update 1, VMware Update Manager capabilities are now available from within the vSphere web client, or so I thought. After deploying the new vCenter 6.0 U1 Server Appliance and a separate Microsoft Windows server for VMware Update Manager 6.0 U1, I found that the VUM icon was missing from the vSphere web client. After numerous reboots of both the vCSA and VUM server, a reinstall of VUM, and a quick read of the Update Manager 6.0 U1 release notes, I finally managed to resolve the issue by simply re-registering the web client using the VMware vSphere Update Manager Utility.
- From the VUM server, open Windows Explorer and browse to the install directory, the default is “C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager“
- Run VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe to launch the VMware Update Manager Utility
- Log in using the credentials which Update Manager uses to connect to VMware vCenter
- Select the ‘Re-register to vCenter Server‘ option
- Re-enter the same username and credentials as used during the initial install and click Apply.
- Restart the VMware vSphere Update Manager Service
- Log in to the vSphere Web Client to see the VMware Update Manager icon
- Click on the Update Manager icon to configure VUM settings